Home > Long Reads > How well does Cardiff contribute to the British film industry?

How well does Cardiff contribute to the British film industry?

Filming at Glyndwr University as part of Ffresh Festival 2013

At Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday 5 March a Conservative, Tobias Ellwood, stated more than 50 graduates from Bournemouth University and the Arts University had contributed to the British film, Gravity.

PM David Cameron answered saying the British film industry and post-production industry is leading the world.

Cardiff is already well established as a major centre for television and drama production with some of the UK’s most popular programmes such as Doctor Who, Casualty and Gavin & Stacey being filmed all over the city.

But how well does the Welsh capital contribute to the British film industry, if at all?

Wales has played host to a number of film productions in the past like The Killer Elite with Jason Statham & Robert De Niro, 28 Weeks Later and Outlaw with Sean Bean and Bob Hoskins.

And with the recent announcement of Pinewood Film Company setting up studios in Cardiff the growing film industry in Cardiff appears to be well on it’s way.

But is it also down to the help of organisations in Wales such as The Student Media Festival of Wales, Ffresh, which celebrates film and awards for those eager and willing to get their foot in the film industry, which lend a hand to Cardiff’s film reputation.

Ffresh, established in 2003 has recently been taken over by Jody Tozer who will be coordinating this year’s event, sponsored by Cineworld, having been the director of the Cardiff Mini Film Festival for the past two years.

Day one at Ffresh Festival 2013

Day one at Ffresh Festival 2013

Ffresh features the best student work from Wales, the UK, and abroad and includes masterclasses, panel sessions and workshops with some of the industry’s most renowned and respected figures.

The purpose of the festival is to celebrate the best work being created by up-and-coming moving image talent and provides a vital link between higher education and the media sector.

The festival programme also includes all the shortlisted work for the prestigious Ffresh awards.

Jody Tozer said: “I’m really looking forward to bringing Ffresh back to Cardiff and creating a varied and unique programme of events – not only students, but anyone who is keen to get into the media industry.

“I think with the BBC here and the new Pinewood Studios will provide a lot more opportunity for people wanting to go into film in Cardiff. Wales is a good location and is a lot cheaper to film at than other places.

“The festival is important for those wanting to get into film as it offers guidance, motivation to carry-on, great links to the industry and it makes people feel like there is a community.”

This year’s Ffresh will begin on May 10. Host venues for the 11 and 12 will be at Cineworld, Porters and Gwdihw and Ffresh have so far confirmed Philip John, Director of Downton Abbey, as one of their guests.